Monday, April 18, 2005

Day Two - 45o 28’ 0” N 73o 45’ 0” W - Montreal, Quebec, Canada

It comes as a pleasant suprise to wake next morning and find I'm still in the same bed as I went to sleep in. What comes as a bit more of a shock is that I have slept for 12 full hours and it's now getting on for lunchtime.

Since I'm unsure how much time I have left in Montreal, I decide I'd better make the best of it and throw my clothes on rapidly before heading out in search of some sustenance.
-oOo-

The Lucien-L'Allier Metro Station is only a few minutes walk from the hostel, and after a wait of only a few more minutes I'm rolling along in the direction of the city centre. On a whim, I get off the metro at Guy Station and within a short while I spot the Hard Rock Cafe. That'll do nicely.

An hour or so later, suitably sated on a Potato Skins starter and the amusingly-named "Pig Sandwich", I roll out onto the street and roll into the nearest tourist information office.

The wonderfully friendly and helpful staff make do the best they can to tempt me with the various attractions that are on offer, but I am rather early in the season they explain apologetically. In the end I think I'm needing a lift so I jump in a taxi and ask for 2111 Saint-Laurent Blvd, wherein resides the Just For Laughs Museum and soon I'm tee-heeing and laughing with the rest of the visitors at the antics of the likes of Steve Martin and Woody Allen in the International Comedy Hall of Fame show.

As the afternoon draws to a close and the crowds begin to thin out as busy commuters make their way home, I find myself walking along an almost-deserted urban thoroughfare. There really are some stunning examples of street art to be found in this neighbourhood, and as I stand admiring the technicolor masonry canvases, they begin to shimmer in front of my eyes...........

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home