Monday, April 18, 2005

Day One - Later – 45o 28’ 0” N 73o 45’ 0” W - Montreal, Québec, Canada

...and clears.

My trusty GPRS tells informs me that I'm the city of Montreal, in the province of Quebec, Canada. My trusty senses tell me that it's a cool, clear mid-evening, and the stars are out. Looking around me I see a sign that reads "Parc Mont Royal" which even my basic, un-augmented, French-language skills manage to translate as Mount Royal Park.

Raising my eyes to follow the sloping path I can see a purplish glow through the trees and set off to investigate. Before long I find the source of the glow. I stop for a few minutes to catch my breath after the climb and question a passer-by about the significance of the cross.

"It's a symbol of Catholicism in Quebec," he tells me, "it turns purple after every Pope's death. It returns to it's normal white color after the Cardinals elect the new Pope."

Returning down the path I hail myself a taxi and ask the driver to find me somewhere to sleep for the night, not too expensive, and in short order he deposits me at the doors of the Montreal Youth Hostel. For my $25.78CAD for the night I get a bed in a clean, well-furnished dormitory, where I settle down for the night to read a copy of The Montreal Gazette which was in a newsstand in the Hostel reception area. Today's headlines include:

  • Finola Hackett wins the CanWest CanSpell National Spelling Championship
  • Cardinals begin conclave to elect next pope.
  • Jean Charest, prime minister of Quebec, makes his first official trip to Washington.

It's been a long day, though, and I can't take much more in. My eyes close of their own accord.

-oOo-

1 Comments:

Blogger AnaP said...

Thank you for your visit and your comment. I liked your blog and I am looking forward to what comes next :-)
Ana (from 100 tretas)
xxx

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home