Sunday, April 17, 2005

Day One - 29o 17' 56" N 94o 47' 38" W - Galveston, Tx, U.S.A.

The world shimmers........

.....and clears. Looking at my GPRS, I find I'm in Galveston, Texas. To be more precise, I soon find out that I'm in the Hotel Galvez. And very nice it is too. $139 per night for the room I'm in, but the sea views are stunning.

I decide to head down to the lobby and see if I can find out some more about this city. Luckily some kind soul has left a copy of Galveston - A History of the Island and I need no invitation. Finding a comfortable armchair, I settle down and begin to read...(click the "lobby" link for a webcam view of the lobby - you might just see me over there *points*, in the corner)

  • Galveston, named after the 18th Century governor of Spanish Louisiana Bernardo de Galvez, has (according to a census taken in the year 2000) a population of 57,247. In the year 1839 it adopted a charter and was incorporated by the Congress of the Republic of Texas.

And it looks like I'm too early for the Schlitterbahn Waterpark that's opening next month. Bummer.

By the time I've had a quick scan through the Galveston County Daily News my stomach's growling. Let's go check out the local cuisine.

-oOo-


The Tremont House Hotel. I like the look of this place - gorgeous Victorian architecture - so I decide to give it a go. The menu is a classy affair, even if the effect is somewhat spoiled by the "Starbucks" logo at the bottom of the last page. For starters, I opt for the Crab Cakes served with Remoulade sauce and fresh lemon ($8.00). My main course is the mouthwatering Filet Mignon served with blue cheese pistachio hollandaise and accompanied by Au Gratin potatoes and fresh seasonal vegetables ($25.00). Thoroughly stuffed, I am reluctantly forced to send away the waiters who are trying to persuade me that I can indeed manage a dessert. I call for the bill and wander off into the night.

Wandering back towards the hotel, in the failing light of evening, the world shimmers..........

1 Comments:

Blogger MÂȘ Carmen Sanz said...

You should visit Toledo cause it's one of the pretiest cities in the world!
I like your life style a lot but I haven't enough time to travel.

See u.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home